Friday, November 9, 2007

Snow!


Here is the view from our living room window two days ago, and it still looks much the same! It snowed a little on Sunday, but this was the first snow to stick around. Yesterday there was a nice light snow falling all day. We felt like we were having the real Russian experience, walking down the street in the afternoon with the snow falling. The snow quickly melted and turned to slush on the streets and sidewalks, but the trees and parks looked pretty. Our cultural training session for the afternoon was cancelled, so we visited the Kazan Cathedral on Nevsky Prospect. It is still a working orthodox church (so it was free to get in!). There was no service going on at the time, but there were many people lighting candles in front of the icons, or praying and kissing them. This was a new thing for me to see! It was beautiful inside- unfortunately you are not allowed to take pictures. I didn't have my camera anyway, so it was just as well. If you want to see a picture of it and read some information, you can go to http://www.saint-petersburg.com/virtual-tour/kazan-cathedral.asp .

I had another new experience on the metro ride home. It was rush hour, the most crowded time to be on the metro. We waited with the horde for the train to come and the doors to open, and as soon as the last person exiting the train stepped off, we all pushed and squeezed onto the train to fill every possible space with people. Aaron and I got separated and I was smooshed up against someone sitting on the opposite side of the car (I had a hard time keeping my bags from hitting the lady in the face.) This was a bad situation, since we were getting off at the next stop, and I had several layers of people to get through to make my way out the train doors. When we stopped, Aaron was able to slip out, but I couldn't get through! I tried hard to push people out of the way, and say, "izvenitya!" (excuse me), and I finally got to the open doors. Unfortunately, this was at the exact moment that the next flood of people started streaming into the train car, and I had to back up or risk being trampled. So, I yelled out to Aaron that I would be back, and I had to get out at the next station and then take the opposite train back. Not really a big deal, just an interesting situation. I need to learn how to say, "I'm getting off at the next stop," so that I can get reshuffled and closer to the doors when I'm in a big crush like that. The most interesting thing is that with all the pushing and shoving, no one gets upset or starts swearing at each other. Everyone just keeps a straight face and acts like nobody else is around, even though their body may be in contact with 5 other bodies at one time. It is just accepted as normal, because it is. It works the same way squeezing onto the escalators. If you can get past any notions of personal space, it's not too bad.

4 comments:

minerag said...

Great picture out your front window! You actually have trees to see instead of just buildings! Intersting story - glad you made it back to Aaron safely. Who had Lydia - Danielle or Aaron?

erma h said...

I wondered, too, who had Lydia!! I'm glad you could handle that situation so calmly. I think I would have panicked being in a strange place and not knowing the language. It sounds like you are having a lot of interesting experiences and having quite the adventures. God bless and protect you.

Danielle said...

Yes, we do have some trees! :) The metro episode wasn't too bad, since we are pretty familiar with it by now. Lydia was home with her Russian nanny, who watches her 1 and 1/2 days each week.

flynj said...

Hey guys, hope you are having a good week...we will be watching snowflakes soon enough here...all the trees are pretty much bare at this point and the temp. is getting down to freezing at night. Thanks for keeping your blog up to date..the pics are fun. Mom, dad and caleb are comming to Omaha for Thanksgiving, so it will be good to see them...wish you guys could be here as well. We will take a rain check and post date it a couple years! Maybe it would be a good time to skype it up with you?!?!?...Love ya.